January 1, 2012 by Dhani's recipes
First of all, Happy New Year!
An easy recipe for a festive roast dinner, super-simple, just takes some time to cook.
1 broiler (1 kg)
8-9 button mushrooms (whole)
8-9 baby potatoes
6-7 whole stems of thyme (fresh)
8-9 cloves of garlic (lightly crushed)
4-5 large onions (peeled and cut into big chunks)
7-8 french beans (whole)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp BBQ sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
1-2 sticks of cinnamon
2-3 bay leafs
a small chunk of ginger (crushed)
4 tbsp soy sauce
sugar and salt to taste
5 tbsp fresh coriander (finely chopped)
4 tbsp chili flakes
4 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
ginger garlic paste
a few drops of apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp lemon juice
water for boiling
1)Score the chicken on the breast and near the wings and legs.
2)Place the chicken in a shallow pot. Rub some ginger garlic paste onto the chicken using your hands along with the lemon juice,chili flakes ,olive oil and soy sauce.
3)Stuff thyme stems and some garlic into the cavities of the chicken and the places you have scored.
4)Rest for a couple of hours.
5)Preheat oven at 200°C.
6)Pour water in the pot till 3/4’s of the chicken is submerged. Keep on a medium heat.
7)Add in the cinnamon, garlic, potatoes, salt, pepper, crushed ginger,bay leafs,squeeze in orange juice and also put in the remains after squeezing the juice.
8) After 5 minutes of boiling turn the chicken over and let it boil for another 5 minutes on the medium heat.
9)Carefully remove the whole chicken out and place on a roasting tray along with all the potatoes that were boiling with the chicken. Also scatter the mushrooms,onions and french beans. Add a couple of laddlefuls of the stock over the chicken and the veggies.
10) Place in the oven for 60 minutes in total with the last 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 150°C.
11) While that’s in the oven, strain the stock and place on a high flame for reduction.
12) In a small pan melt the butter with honey. Keep pouring this on the chicken after every 10 minutes while it’s in the oven.
13) Once the stock has reduced to 1/4 of its original quantity, add in the BBQ sauce, ketchup, sugar,salt,pepper, a little bit of honey, coriander. Taste and increase or decrease the flavours according to your taste buds.
14) Dilute the cornstarch in some of the stock separately and mix into the rest of the reduction for shine and thickness. Your glaze is almost ready.
15)Once the chicken is cooked, remove from tray and assemble with the veggies on another plate. Empty all the juices from the pan into the glaze and give it a mix.
Serve with mashed potatoes.
Enjoy! Have a delicious year ahead!